MCards and Blue Bucks

How do I make changes, check my balance?

The Health System does not coordinate the MCard process or the meal money distributed to you based on the HOA bargaining agreement. That is done through student services and automatically updated each month by the information your program submits on your behalf. To access your MCard or Blue Bucks balance, go to You will use your unique name and level 1 password. Once logged on, you can use the self-serve student/staff option.

Student Services coordinates your meal money.  They are very helpful and can be reached at (734) 763-8250 or you can contact Robin Tarter in the HOA office to help address any issues you may be having.  Your balance should never "disappear" and will remain on your Mcard until you terminate or your card expires and upon renewal, you no longer have a house officer appointment.