MEMORANDUM OF UNDERSTANDING
By and Between
THE UNIVERSITY OF MICHIGAN
THE UNIVERSITY OF MICHIGAN HOUSE OFFICERS ASSOCIATION
The University of Michigan (the University) and the University of Michigan House Officers Association (the HOA or Union) recently met to discuss the subject of USMLE Step 3 or COMLEX Level 3 examination reimbursement provided for in paragraphs 55-56 of the 2020-2023 collective bargaining agreement (CBA) between the parties, and reached this Memorandum of Understanding (MOU):
- If the House Officer took the exam before starting on University payroll, there will be no reimbursement.
- If the House Officer registered for the exam prior to starting on University payroll, but did not take the exam until after they were on University payroll, they are eligible for reimbursement if they comply with the provisions in Article IV, Section I, and provided that:
- The expense was incurred on or after the date that the House Officer was nationally matched with the University Program; and
- In no event will the University reimburse for an expense that was incurred more than 12 months prior to the expense being submitted through CONCUR.
- If a House Officer is submitting an expense report more than 30 days from the date they took the exam, a copy of the email notifying them of their test result being available must be included. This allows staff reviewing the expense report to confirm it has been submitted within 30 days of receiving test scores.
- This MOU applies to reimbursement requests submitted on or after July 1, 2020.
- This MOU is non-precedential. This MOU is without prejudice to the position either Party has taken in the past, or may take in the future in similar circumstances or with respect to any provision of the CBA.
FOR THE UNIVERSITY:
Michelle T. Sullivan
Director of Labor Relations
FOR THE UNION: