Step 3 Reimbursement
Information on USMLE Step 3 and COMPLEX Level 3 Reimbursement
Article IV, Section I of the Collective Bargaining Agreement provides a process for your USMLE Step 3 or COMLEX Level 3 application fee to be reimbursed.
The HOA negotiated this benefit for you, but it is the University that will reimburse you. The reimbursement is only available for one attempt.
Submit your score sheet, along with any other documentation they request, to your program's CONCUR delegate or designee.
- Take the test after your employment has commenced
- Have registered for the exam sometime after you matched at U of M
- Submit your score sheet within 30 days of receiving the results (include the dated email you received notifying you of your results)
- Take the exam before the beginning of your last year
Be in a one-year transitional residency (If doing a transitional year, you must submit your request by June 1)
See the official contract language below:
SECTION I. USMLE STEP 3/COMLEX LEVEL 3 EXAM REIMBURSEMENT
For residents only, when taken prior to the House Officer's final residency program year at the University of Michigan, the University will reimburse a House Officer for the application fee for USMLE Step 3 or COMLEX Level 3 examination. This reimbursement also applies to a resident completing a one-year transitional residency at the University. Reimbursement will be for the examination application fee only and reimbursement is available for one (1) attempt.
A resident is eligible for reimbursement if they submit their score sheet to the Program along with the required documentation, as determined by their Department, to their CONCUR delegate or designee within 30 calendar days of receiving the exam results. For a resident in a one-year transitional residency, the completed reimbursement request and documentation must be submitted no later than June 1.
MOU Regarding USMLE STEP 3/COMLEX LEVEL 3 EXAM REIMBURSEMENT
MEMORANDUM OF UNDERSTANDING
By and Between
THE UNIVERSITY OF MICHIGAN
THE UNIVERSITY OF MICHIGAN HOUSE OFFICERS ASSOCIATION
The University of Michigan (the University) and the University of Michigan House Officers Association (the HOA or Union) recently met to discuss the subject of USMLE Step 3 or COMLEX Level 3 examination reimbursement provided for in paragraphs 55-56 of the 2020-2023 collective bargaining agreement (CBA) between the parties, and reached this Memorandum of Understanding (MOU):
- If the House Officer took the exam before starting on University payroll, there will be no reimbursement.
- If the House Officer registered for the exam prior to starting on University payroll, but did not take the exam until after they were on University payroll, they are eligible for reimbursement if they comply with the provisions in Article IV, Section I, and provided that:
- The expense was incurred on or after the date that the House Officer was nationally matched with the University Program; and
- In no event will the University reimburse for an expense that was incurred more than 12 months prior to the expense being submitted through CONCUR.
- If a House Officer is submitting an expense report more than 30 days from the date they took the exam, a copy of the email notifying them of their test result being available must be included. This allows staff reviewing the expense report to confirm it has been submitted within 30 days of receiving test scores.
- This MOU applies to reimbursement requests submitted on or after July 1, 2020.
- This MOU is non-precedential. This MOU is without prejudice to the position either Party has taken in the past, or may take in the future in similar circumstances or with respect to any provision of the CBA.
FOR THE UNIVERSITY:
Michelle T. Sullivan
Director of Labor Relations
FOR THE UNION: