What should you do?
The Perioperative Sharps Committee has provided the following handout to help educate house officers on what to do if they sustain a needlestick.
If you sustain a needlestick or sharps injury:
- Wash the wound immediately with soap and water
- Flush splashes with water
- Seek prompt treatment
- Report the incident as soon as possible!
- Discuss the risk of infection based on the circumstances of the injury
- Share your story to help others
Report exposures: Page 5356 and notify your supervisor!